Be an Informed Consumer
Decisions about your health care are important—including decisions about whether or not to use complementary health products and practices. Take charge of your health by being an informed consumer. Find out and consider what scientific studies have been done on the safety and effectiveness of the product or practice that interests you. Discuss the information with your health care provider before making a decision. These fact sheets and resources can help you think about the issues to consider and questions to ask.
What Is Complementary and Alternative Medicine?
This fact sheet presents an overview of CAM, types of CAM, summary information on safety and regulation, the mission of the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), and additional resources.
Issues to Consider
- Are You Considering Using CAM?
- CAM Use and Children
- Tell Your Health Care Provider About Your Use of Complementary Health Practices
- Evaluating Web-Based Health Resources
- Time To Talk About Natural Products for the Flu and Colds: What Does the Science Say?
- Time To Talk About Dietary Supplements: 5 Things Consumers Need To Know
Choosing a CAM Practitioner
About Dietary and Herbal Supplements