Resources from NCCAM Presentations at Integrative Medicine & Health 2012
A “Blue Sky” Look at Integrative Medicine: The Next 5 Years
Presented by: Emmeline Edwards, Ph.D.
- NCCAM Research Blog (nccam.nih.gov/research/blog)
Advancing Research Literacy: Critical Research Issues to Consider
Presented by: Laura Lee Johnson, Ph.D.
- Sample Size Calculations Simplified (www.jerrydallal.com/LHSP/SIZE.HTM)
- Statistics Guide for Research Grant Applications (www-users.york.ac.uk/~mb55/guide/guide.htm)
- PS: Power and Sample Size Calculation (biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/PowerSampleSize)
- JAVA Applets for Power and Sample Size (www.cs.uiowa.edu/~rlenth/Power/)
- Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials (www.consort-statement.org)
- Assessment CenterSM (www.assessmentcenter.net)
- REDCap Consortium (project-redcap.org)
- Clinical and Translational Science Awards (www.ctsacentral.org)
- NIH Introduction to the Principles and Practice of clinical Research Course (www.cc.nih.gov/training/training/ippcr.html)
- NIH Office of Intramural Training & Education (www.training.nih.gov and www.training.nih.gov/programs)
Advancing Research Literacy Pre-Congress Workshop
Presented by: Peter J Kozel, Ph.D.
- NCCAM Peer Reviewer Blog (rachel.ruhlendavis.org/2011/06/24/59/ and rachel.ruhlendavis.org/2012/02/25/from-the-other-side-again/)
- NIH Guide for Funding Opportunity Announcements RSS Feed (grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rss_info.htm)
- NIH RePORTER (projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm)
- NIH Office of Extramural Research Award (grants.nih.gov/grants/award/award.htm)
- Center for Scientific Review (www.csr.nih.gov)
- Office of Extramural Research (grants.nih.gov/grants/oer.htm)
- Blog of the NIH Deputy Director for Extramural Research (nexus.od.nih.gov/all/rock-talk/)
Characteristics of Successful Training Applications, Applicants, and Mentors
Presented by: Wendy Weber, N.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. and Alberto Rivera-Rentas, Ph.D. and Peter Kozel, Ph.D.
- NIH Loan Repayment Program (www.lrp.nih.gov)
- NCCAM’s Training Webpage (nccam.nih.gov/training)
- NCCAM Program Director’s in Specific Scientific Areas (nccam.nih.gov/grants/contact#are)
Forging NIH/VA/DoD Collaborations
Presented by: Kristen Huntley, Ph.D.
- DOD Pain Management Task Force—Final Report May 2010 (www.amedd.army.mil/reports/Pain_Management_Task_Force.pdf)
- Millenium Cohort study (www.millenniumcohort.org)
- Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (DoD) (cdmrp.army.mil)
- Basic/Applied Psychological Health Award (cdmrp.army.mil/pubs/press/2011/11phtbipreann.shtml)
- Gulf War Illness Research Program (cdmrp.army.mil/funding/gwirp.shtml)
- Program Announcement for NCCAM Grant Administrative Supplements (grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-12-160.html)
- Veterans Health Administration Research & Development Funding Opportunities (www.research.va.gov/funding/)
Funding your Research: New Opportunities and Strategic Partnerships
Presented by: Emmeline Edwards, Ph.D. and Daniel Cherkin, Ph.D.
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (www.pcori.org)
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute Updates (www.pcori.org/subscribe)
Low Back Pain: Standardization Issues in Manual Medicine Research
Presented by: Wendy Weber, N.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. and Partap S. Khalsa, D.C., Ph.D., D.A.B.C.O.
- Standards for Reporting Interventions in Clinical Trials of Acupuncture (STRICTA) (www.stricta.info)
- STRICTA checklist of 2010 items (www.stricta.info/checklist.htm)
- Patient Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS®) (www.nihpromis.org)
- Initiative on Methods, Measurement, and Pain Assessment in Clinical Trials (IMMPACT) (www.immpact.org)
Strategic Partnerships and Collaborations with CTSAs
Presented by: Emmeline Edwards, Ph.D.
- CTSA Research Training and Research Career Development (www.ncats.nih.gov/research/cts/ctsa/training/training.html)
- NCCAM K24 Mid-Career Investigator Award Partnership with CTSA Institutions Consortium (grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-11-195.html and grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-AT-11-003.html)
Trans-NIH Collaborative Programs
Presented by: John R. Glowa, Ph.D.
- NIH Blueprint for Neuroscience Research (neuroscienceblueprint.nih.gov)
- Basic Behavioral and Social Sciences Opportunity Network (oppnet.nih.gov)
- Science of Behavior Change (commonfund.nih.gov/behaviorchange/)
- NIH Pain Consortium (painconsortium.nih.gov)
Update for NCCAM Clinical Research Applicants: New Resources and Oversight Measures
Presented by: Wendy Weber, N.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. and D. Lee Alekel, Ph.D. and Laura Lee Johnson, Ph.D.
- NCCAM Clinical Research Toolbox (nccam.nih.gov/grants/toolbox)
- Registration of a Clinical Study (www.clinicaltrials.gov)
- NCCAM Terms of Awards for Clinical Trials (nccam.nih.gov/research/policies/terms-of-awards.htm)
- NCCAM Clinical Research Toolbox Protocol Document (nccam.nih.gov/grants/toolbox#templates)
- Data and Safety Monitoring of NCCAM-Funded Clinical Research
- NCCAM Policy: Natural Product Integrity (nccam.nih.gov/research/policies/naturalproduct.htm)
- FDA Investigational Device Exemption Form
Writing a CAM Grant: Challenges in Clinical Trial Design and Important Statistical Considerations
Presented by: Cyndy Long, Ph.D. and Steve Simon, Ph.D. and Richard Kotz, Ph.D. and Laura Lee Johnson, Ph.D.
- Integrative and Complementary Therapies Statisticians Working Group Listserv